Softrock SDR Firmware Bug

For anyone else who is thinking of doing this project, here is an import bug report. This has been mentioned in relation to a particular model of Logitech mice, but appears is caused by any kind of USB device.

The softrock bios does not like to have ANY id but #1!

Symptom: You plug in your USB device after step 3 in the instructions, but get the message from windows “Unknown Device”, despite having good drivers installed.

Cause: Another device already has id 1, and the system is offering another to the softrock. The softrock will ignore the hand shake, and windows will report the error.

Temporary workaround: Unplug every USB device on your computer, including any mice and keyboards. Wait a moment so that Windows detects all of them are gone. Plug in your softrock. It should be detected. You can now plug back in everything else.

It sucks, but it’s a necessary thing at this point.

Advertisements

About Grant Wagner

General class ham: KC9SJQ https://grantwagner.wordpress.com
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Softrock SDR Firmware Bug

  1. Dizzy-Dick says:

    Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind because I am in the market for a couple of new mice. Is it cool up your way? Still over 100 here, 104 here today.

  2. Grant Wagner says:

    It was 65 as I left my house this morning. They say it might hit 83 by the end of the day. Easy living.

    If you’re up for a new mouse, I would recommend you look at a Razer mouse. I have their Copperhead and it really is one of the best mice I ever used. A lot better than anything I ever got from Microsoft or Logitech

  3. Bruce Bourdon says:

    Grant,
    You saved me from several more days of aggravation and banging my head against the wall.

    I built a SoftRock Ensemble II RX and I could not get the drivers to recognize it on the PC in my ham shack. Tried it on two other systems to prove that it wasn’t the new SDR radio, worked fine on them. So off I went trying vainly to find the right combination of drivers and updates to fix this, of course everything I tried failed.

    Finally stumbled onto your post and the light went on; pulled all the USB plugs and voila no more “unknown device” errors. Turns out that both laptops worked because there were no other USB devices plugged into them.

    While I love what the SoftRock guys have done, making this so affordable and available, it really would’ve helped if they put a note about this someplace where even I would notice it…

    Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Best 73’s
    Bruce, KA1KXL

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s